Friday, May 23, 2008

Confined Spaces

Today was a busy day :o)

My company headquarters is in Columbus, OH.  Four or Five times per year, I will be heading down there to build new, and strengthen existing, relationships (just as in our personal lives, it takes effort to build and create relationships). 

So I hit the road just before 7:00 AM, put in 265 miles (about 4.5 hours with a refuel stop), had a 12:00 PM meeting, a 1:30 PM meeting, and a 3:00 meeting, and at 4:00 PM, hit the road for the return trip home.  With no stops on the return trip (a wonderful exercise in mind over body :o), I was able to cover the 255 mile return trip in just about four hours.  Two Kid Rock CD's certainly helped pass the time.  An added benefit is that I am able to have a bit of a bite, dinner that is, with my bride :o)

After I got home, I got to thinking about how difficult it would be to be handicapped, in this case, I was thinking of those who are wheelchair bound.  I know that after four hours of being in the same position, only able to switch hands and lean slightly in either direction, I definitely have a new appreciation for those confined to wheelchairs.  One of the managers at my job has been in a wheelchair for more than 30 years, and I always try to treat him no different (except for holding the door while he wheels in).  I know he appreciates being accepted on his merits, and not treated as special because of his physical limitations.

As Beth and I investigate opportunities for our second half (the satisfaction phase of our lives versus the achievement phase), I know that interaction with the handicapped will be high on the list.

 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to have you home, and looking forward to a fun and relaxing weekend!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a tiring day for you with all that driving.  Enjoy your long weekend.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Doc does this sort of traveling all the time with his band. I often wonder how he can drive for so long, unload all the equipment, set up and perform for 4 hours with so much energy and spirit. I think being handicapped anyone of us would agree, when you are dealt a hand you have to live with, Deafness, Wheelchair bound, Blind...eventually you don't see yourself as handicapped it becomes who you are and your way of life. Yes, your aware of your limitations but you learn to live within the perimeters of those limitations. I think people who don't deal with those limitations are more aware of them, than we are at times...Strange but true.

At the end of the day it's a matter of feeling as if we count on the same level playing field as everyone else. I'm delighted to know you don't downplay someone's worth on the basis of a handicap. Then again since coming to befriend you and Beth, I wouldn't expect anything less. Your both compassionate, understanding individuals. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

... I like how you categorize the phases of your life ... I still am doing the both ... my achievements will be to gain my satisfaction, and not material gain ...

Anonymous said...

I frequently read Beth's journal & the 2 of you appear(as much as someone can tell from a journal) to be people who make their own satisfaction. Most folks don't act as if that is possible.  It's not very external, actually. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

You are such a thoughtful person. I am deeply moved by your ability to simply and quietly recognize the difficulty that others may have in their lives and to decide to be a part of the solution. I don't toss this phrase around lightly, may God's blessings keep you warm.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

my dad has been in a chair for 38 years I just have never seen him any different and I grew up with the knowledge others will never have .. have a great holiday and becareful driving long periods of time you could get the road zone very easy.
hugs
Sherry