Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pay It Forward :o)

After a long week, we watched the "Warriors" DVD (go to Nutwood Junction for details), then Letterman, and Craig Ferguson on Late Night [I think it was just great to unwind a little].  Late to bed, and then a mid-morning wake-up, the simple life is soooo good!  Hope you had a great Friday and a lazy Saturday morning :o)

I then headed off to get a hair cut (actually all of them :o).  Then hooked up the trailer to "Blue", for a trip to my beloved in-laws.  The trailer purpose was two-fold. First, it was loaded with the remnants of our split rail fence that I took down a couple of weeks ago.  When Mom heard that we were taking it down, she expressed a desire to have the fence for use in her back yard.  What a cool way to recycle, so when I took it down, I loaded it into the trailer.  Second, they are doing some cleanup around their church, and need a good sized trailer to haul away the debris and garbage.  Any time we can do something to help them, we do!

One thing I can always count on my Mother-In-Law for is for us to never go hungry :o)  After she fed us a sandwich and some cheesecake, we sat down to chat.  My In-Laws, Mom and Dad, are simply wonderful people, and have embraced me into their family as one of their own.  As we were sitting talking today, we expressed thanks for their recent gift to us, which allowed us to pay off our second mortgage.  I then explained that while we were visiting my folks in Springfield, Missouri over Mother's Day, we were able to "Pay It Forward".  They were very pleased, and we know that being able to show tangible results was special to them.

My folks (my Mom and Step dad) had to declare bankruptcy due to medical bills about three years ago.  They moved to Oregon for a few years to be near some family, but it did not work out the way they had hoped - so last year they moved back to Missouri (I flew out and drove back the U-Haul).  Shortly after they moved back, my Step dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and he has recently completed his treatments.  What a blessing that they were near family that could support them, and in a community that has wonderful medical care.  Anyhoo (that was for you Beth), they had some credit card debt that was previously at +20%, and they were consolidating using some new Mastercard checks at 8.99%, a huge savings.  Their moving and medical expenses seem to be behind them, and they are trying to get ahead a little.  So Beth and I discussed the situation when we went to run a few errands (have I mentioned what an awesome team we are because we think alike and make all decisions together), and then I went into "Kengineer" mode.  I sat down with a blank piece of paper  and a calculator, and asked them questions regarding the situation.  To cut to the chase, we convinced them to let us pay off their two outstanding credit card debts, and they could pay us back at 5%, a win-win since that is better than I get in my savings account, and it saves them an additional 4%and eliminates the possibility of the rates changing for them.  We would have charged zero, but we knew that in order to convince them to let us help, we had to sell it as beneficial to us both.  After we were done, you could just see the heaviness lift from their shoulders, and we had a very enjoyable evening.

 

After our chat, the sun started to shine again, and we headed out to the porch.  Dad and I walked around back to look at their pond, and then commenced to hike around their 15 acres.  I think we spent a good hour walking and talking, enjoying the wonders of nature, talking about both of our properties and how when you are content, it is easy to live a simple life.  He has been retired for 30 years, and has really had a chance to be a part of other peoples lives in a very positive manner.  He commented on how lucky Beth and I are to have so much in common, and to love our little sanctuary here at Nutwood Junction.  I know we both really appreciated this chance to bond. 

After our visit, we decided to take the backroads home, and it was so nice to be reminded of how rural most of our area really is.  As we kept heading North and East to get back to our spread, we chanced upon the building to the left.  As you can see in the background, this is out in the middle of no-where, sitting on the corner of a farm field.  This building was from 1885, labeled as part of Polk Township, and even though it is deteriorated, it has not yet been torn down. 

I know that as we continue our life journey together, Beth and I will continue to live the simple life, to enjoy the wonders of nature, to marvel at our history and reminisce (we discussed whether this building was a school house or a public building) about how people used to live.  Just as important, as we pass houses and glimpse a sliver of everyday life, ask ourselves how we can make a difference, to Pay Forward the kindness and grace we receive from others.  

 

Share a smile, a kind word, or a good deed with another, and Pay if Forward as often as you can :o)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we share the same philosophy!

B.

Anonymous said...

More people need to do that.
Love that building.I hope it doesn't get torn down..just let it live out it's days with the ghosts of the past running through it.
connie

Anonymous said...

This was a lovely entry.  I truly enjoyed reading every word.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Entry...Love the photo and the belief of what it could be. P.S hope your hair cut came off well. Mine last weekend reminds me of a buzzzzzz cut. LMAO

Anonymous said...

... so hard to comment on anything in this entry without writing a full page ..!  I am glad for you to have so many wonderful people in your life, and the great connections that you have with them ... from in-laws, to parents, to partners ... can definitely feel you about 'helping' the folks ... anyway, enjoyed reading your entry ..!

Anonymous said...

What a refreshing entry!  It was really something reading about how you and Beth were able to help your family.  You two are a really special couple, and I'm glad you have each other.  Nelishia and I share an unbelieveable number of compatibilities, and we, too, make all our decisions jointly.  We also enjoy the simple things in life and take the time to "smell the roses."

Nice photo.  I like taking photos of old buildings like that too before they're lost forever.  I have also always enjoyed trying to figure what it was if it wasn't obvious.

Great closing thought.  If everyone did that, what a better place the world would be!

Dirk

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the entry, love pictures of old buildings, i have already envisioned it as a "School House" and then as someones "Home", who knows, but its nice thinking about it!


Gary,  

Anonymous said...

How funny that this building is just...there!  My husband and I were driving through Utah, and there are so many dilapidated buildings (all in worse shape than this one!)  We commented how there were plows in the fileds, buildings leaning over, fences not really keeping anything in or out.  As if the rapture had just zoomed people up right in the middle of life!  Wondered why they don't just tear them down!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

You and Beth are just beautiful people.--Sheria