Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What would it take for $4 a gallon gas?

Previously, I provided a summary of an AP story that addressed the prognosis for recession in 2008 (not predicted).  This is a follow-on, based on a forecast by Jeremy Siegel, Ph.D.  "If oil surges past $100 a barrel for whatever reason, we will be in trouble. Three dollar gasoline did not prove to be the tipping point for the consumer in 2007.  But with a weak housing market, I believe $4 gasoline would do considerable damage to consumers’ pocketbooks in 2008.  And $4 gasoline would happen if oil rose to $120 a barrel or higher. "

I know that in order to limit the dollars that go into the tank, I take Blacky (Mustang) to work whenever I can (43 miles each way), since Blue only gets about 12 mpg and Blacky gets about 22 mpg.  I paid the price this morning, however.  Blacky got stuck in the driveway (we have decided we need to pave the garage area next summer).  I had to get out Blue, crawl under Blacky to put on the tow rope, and then drag the car out of the snow.  I did get to do a little four-wheeling to get Blue back into the garage :o).  Have to admit that getting the used Dodge Ram truck was one of the best investments we have made living out in the country.  We are going to purchase some extra salt and a spreader this weekend to help us get through the winter (this is second time one of the Mustangs has gotten stuck in the driveway).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered what odd critter had left those tracks in the yard! :)