Monday, December 31, 2007

Hypocritic Oath...?

During some recent interactions with people, I have had the opportunity to witness some truly hypocritical behavior.  Just to be clear, I believe that a hypocrite is someone who says one thing and does the opposite.  These people try to use some form of rationalization to justify their actions.  I believe that these people also have double standards, they desire to have the best of both worlds. They go to church on Sundays and as soon as they walk out the door, they go back to living their “regular” lives.  To further be clear, I know that I am a grounded person, very consistent in my behavior, as evidenced by feedback from multiple family, work, and professional association sources – I know that my behavior and values are constant, and rely on my beliefs and principles to guide my actions and interactions. So I say, stay true to your faith, your beliefs, and your actions.  Always strive to take the high road, and never make disparaging comments to or against others. 

 

For reference, below is supporting information for statements made above.

 

Websters: hyp·o·crite \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\

Function: noun

Date: 13th century

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

 

Dictionary.com: hyp·o·crite  / [hip-uh-krit]

1: a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

 

Review of terms at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypocrite identifies some thesaurus terms: dissembler, dissimulator, phoney, phony, pretender, beguiler, cheater, deceiver, trickster, slicker, cheat, … [and one of my favorites] whited sepulchre – a person who is inwardly evil but outwardly professes to be virtuous.


Tags: , , , behavior

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the "whited sepulchre" phrase! It's basically saying that hypocrisy is a whitewashed coffin, which is an excellent metaphor.

Anonymous said...

Liar:  one who lies.

That's an easy one. ;)

Anonymous said...

I hate 'em too, they make those of us who are really evil look bad. >:)

Anonymous said...

Lilith,

Thank you for your comment, it made me laugh.  Ken :o)

Anonymous said...

I admit to being hypocritical about some things and honestly don't know if it's possible not to be at least sometimes.  For instance, I can't really stand lazy people and yet there are times when I am lazy myself, which is hypocritical.  It's not like I set out to be a hypocrite, I just think human beings are complex.  I don't think we're wired to be either black or white and that's part of what makes us individuals--it's what makes us interesting.  

I am suspicious of people who say they NEVER lie or cheat or do anything wrong mostly because I don't think it's possible.

Anonymous said...

You should really try to be kinder to yourself, try not to look in the mirror so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I read your blog with great interest as it hit home for me. I too know people who have said things and done the oposite. I guess we all have. Some of us, myself included, have a very difficult time processing their actions. I have found that these same people will unburden themselves, as you said, by going to church on Sundays, and no sooner are they out the door do they resume their regular lives. It's as if they clean their slate, be it at church or by the act of putting on another's lap, and do so in order to go out and accumulate more. The cycle is endless.