Friday, March 28, 2008

Complacentville

Recently, at work, we identified that our accounting practices and charges for our “projects” are not properly aligned.  As we pulled the thread, it became quite apparent that this was a widespread and long standing issue.  We had become complacent and accepted the situation.  We recently converted to a new enterprise level work management tool, that was supposed to help resolve these types of issues, but now it is even worse because the accounting is locked out once we complete the initial planning. Again, a sign of being complacent. To get the new process to work, we need to be looking ahead 2-3 years, not just reacting to the current issues.  Do you see the potential for any parallels in your everyday life?  I know I do.   

 

As a coworker and I were talking, behind closed doors, we were flummoxed and incredulous as to how a known issue has been going on for years.  We are both relatively new to the department, only about a year each, so we get together and kibitz about the direction we are heading.  We are trying to make changes, but it is often like pushing a rope.  Recently, I heard one of our Senior leaders say, don’t tell me that it is hard, that is what we get paid for!  Again, if it is hard, how often do we look for the easy way out, or the path of least resistance, both in our professional and personal lives?

 

Tonight, as Beth and I are watching about the Politico’s here in Indiana, and how the local school did not approve of Senator Clinton’s visit, I wonder if the Superintendent and School Board did not take the easy path, and throw up a rule as a reason why they could not do something, instead of finding a way to make it happen.

 

It never ceases to amaze me how people in life will constantly take the easy path.  Confrontation is uncomfortable, but the only way to truly grow as an individual, and a society, is to stop being complacent, and step outside that comfort zone.  If it is difficult, then that probably means that it is the right thing to do.  When confronted with a decision or difficult situation, do you go with the popular position, grease the squeaky wheel?  That is a form of complacency – status quo. 

 

While more difficult and uncomfortable, taking the time to step back and consider the alternatives can be very rewarding.  This means taking the time to listen to others, to consider both sides of the issue, to put yourself in their shoes, and consider what their issue is and what success looks like for them.  This is not always easy, and sometimes, if you piss off both sides equally, that is an indication that you are really making progress.  Be wary of “compromise” though, because that is an indication that neither side achieved what they wanted, and they may be saving up to come back and fight another day.  A true win-win situation takes time, patience, empathy, and “thinking outside the box.” 

 

I urge you to not take the Complacentville exit, but to keep travelling until you can arrive at a more worthy destination.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this subject recently and challenging myself on it.  I am trying to look at what others believe, while at the same time not compromising my own beliefs.  It is very challenging.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I think Krissy makes a great point. It IS hard sometimes to try to comprehend where others are coming from, but I think it's important to accept that challenge and try to understand their thoughts and feelings.

Beth

Anonymous said...

I find that there is a general push towards the path of least resistance, but I get so bored when I go that route. If  I'm not getting challenged by what I'm doing I make something up. I don't know if its something you're born with or something you learn but I would rather be like me than THEM.

Always look to the higher ground.,
mairie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mairiegelling/word-in-the-hand/