Thursday, March 20, 2008

Drinking Age Debate - NOT!

Listening to the national news tonight, there was discussion regarding a movement that is afoot to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 (the 21 year old age limit has been in place for 23 years now).  To get details of the debate, follow the link:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/

 

The main argument that supporters are putting forward is that those under 21 are drinking anyway, and often binge drinking at that.  In addition, these poor, thirsty sufferers can vote and fight for our country, but they cannot drink alcohol.

 

I find this entire debate frightening.  The drinking age law stops many young people from drinking, and it definitely keeps them out of the liquor stores and bars.  I cannot imagine a worse scenario than a person recently being given the privilege of their driver’s license, getting behind the wheel to maneuver a 2000 pound plus potential energy machine, after stopping by the local watering hole for a few cold ones. 

 

During this spring weekend, with many celebrating the holiday, lets keep our young men and women safe and sober.  DARE to say no to underage drinking :o)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy have you got my vote.  Even at my age I remember trying to use fake id's during spring break (back then it was Ft. Lauderdale and I lived there) so I know it's probably a lot worse now.  You think you are bullet proof when you are that age.  I say get a little closer to adulthood before you make the choice to drink or not.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

What bugs me is hearing parents say that they would host a party for their kids and serve alcohol, so that they could control the situation. First of all, it's illegal to serve alcohol to minors, and second, shouldn't everyone know by now that you can never completely control a situation? The day we host a party for the kids and serve booze to them and their friends will be a very frigid day in Hell!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Don't hate me, but I'm not certain that the age shouldn't be lowered. I'm 52 and when I began college back in 1973, the legal drinking age in North Carolina was 18. We weren't saints, but neither were we all lushes. I don't know that the age limit prevents anyone from drinking to excess. I suspect that it is more of a combination of family values, taught long before the drinking age, whether it is 18 or 21, and growing maturity.  I confess that I do find it disconcerting to tell a person of 18-20 years of age that he or she may die for this country but can't choose when he or she wants to have a cold one. I just don't think that there has been any conclusive evidence that the increased drinking age has done much to curb alcohol abuse among young people. If we really want to stop binge drinking and driving while intoxicated, then we need to directly address those issues with some honest talk about consequences and values. Saying don't do it has never worked with any generation.  Just offering another point of view. By the way, I no longer drink for health reasons and I don't own stock in any liquor companies. ;)--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your perspective Sheria :o)

Anonymous said...

If they lower the drinking age, I can see kids going around thinking, I'm almost (such and such an age) and starting to drink even earlier. They already do it now, what is to keep them from thinking like that at an even earlier age. From my own experience having 19 year old, soon to be 20 year old....kids these days are NOT responsible enough. When we were younger it was a different story altogether. We had jobs, college, futures we took in to consideration. Kids these days rely all too much on parental guidance, how in the world are they suppose to be responsible drinkers? (Hugs) Indigo