Thursday, March 13, 2008

Home Sweet Home!

It is so nice to be home with Wifey and Critter.  Funny thing is, Sheeba is not that talkative when I am away, mostly some mewing, Go Figure :o)  Some plans fell through, so I was able to get home several hours earlier than scheduled.  The Silver Lining – I had a very productive two days, meeting lots of people, and will be going to Columbus every other month or so over the next several years, so things will work out in the wash.

 

Originally, I was supposed to drive down Tuesday night, but got wrapped up in some last minute work things, and did not hit the road until Wednesday morning (0530 hours).  The thing is, the weather was so nice yesterday and today, it was almost a pleasure (4.5 hours, 245 miles, each way).  The sun was shining, the cruise control was set, my shades in place, and Blacky purred as the miles rolled past.  The route I took was mostly rural, and the terrain was beautiful, lots of farmland, rolling hills, river valleys, and lots of trees.  One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how you can go from rural to urban sprawl in a very short span of miles and time.  At 30 miles out, I was driving through a river valley with signs to ski resorts, and then suddenly, it is all gone – replaced by skyscrapers, freeway interchanges, and the like.  Makes me appreciate Nutwood all the more :o)

 

I would like to make a dining recommendation; I had the opportunity to take my boss out for dinner, and took him to a Mongolian Barbeque.  The premise is basically do it yourself stir fry.  You start off with an empty bowl, with the first stop at the meat bar (round one I had scallops, round two was steak).  After selecting your meat choice, you move to the vegetable bar (I selected fresh garlic, broccoli, sprouts, pea pods, water chestnuts, carrots, etc.) where you select the healthy part of your meal.  Lastly, you move to the spice and sauce bar (Mongolian is heavy on the heat and spice).  The fun part of the meal is when you belly up to the griddle, where the cooks take your bowl contents, and stir fry them, then add your spices and sauces, and return the bowl to you with steaming contents (they also entertain you while they cook, corny, but worthy of some tips from us).  You return to your table and add rice to finish off the presentation.  I got a good laugh watching my boss's reaction to my Chop Stick technique, he was amazed as I selected individual rice kernels.  My years living in San Francisco did result in some new skills :o)  He would not try, so I brought home a gift to Beth of some Chop Sticks – I know, I am so thoughtful!

 

Hope you had a great couple of days, enjoying the first hints of spring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I loved about where I lived in Indianapolis--I was on the far East side, and I could drive 10 minutes farther east and be driving through cornfields. Sometimes I just went out driving through the countryside. The best of both worlds. At my townhouse, I planted a tiny little garden, too!

Mm, I haven't had Mongolian BBQ for years, but it makes me want to see if we can find a place around here!

Happy to have you home, Hubby O' Mine.

B.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping my and leaving a comment. I love Mongolian bbq. They have a place here called BD's. It is good!!! I have found that I love going on drives here in Michigan. The country is so pretty. I am from Florida and it is so flat there except in Northern Fl. But I had to drive like 5 hours before I came to that part.
Tawnya

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy... although this New Englander would undoubtedly look down her big French nose at Mongolian scallops.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by Cap Cod :o)  
We love our sports here in Indiana also.