Thursday, March 20, 2008

Seven Deadly Sins

Recently, Beth (my wonderful bride) wrote about the Vatican suggesting adoption of new Social Sins versus the traditional personal sins. 

 

In the March 24th issue of Time, the Nancy Gibbs essay reflects on this, and includes the following reference to Mohandas Gandhi’s suggested version of the seven deadly sins that struck a chord with me:

  • Wealth without work
  • Pleasure without conscience
  • Science without humanity
  • Knowledge without character
  • Politics without principle
  • Commerce without morality
  • Worship without sacrifice

As we contemplate the meaning and message of Easter, do not focus only on personal sin, think about the bigger societal picture as well.  :o)


Tags: , , , Time

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll look forward to reading that essay, because Gandhi's list is excellent. As I wrote in my entry on the subject, sometimes simplicity is better!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting.  I had not read these before.  Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Joyce