Monday, March 17, 2008

Essential Integrity

One of the tenets we preach in the Nuclear Profession is No Victims.  The great thing, is that this is also a prevalent message in Project Management as well.  But most importantly, there are lessons for every day life as well. 

The Victim: The tendency to explain all difficulties exclusively as the consequence of forces beyond your influence.  The victim's focus is; problems originate outside of his/herself, seeks to place blame, points fingers, is defensive, uses "should" to explain (or complain), uses words such as "they", helpless, and innocent.

Sorry - I just cannot buy into that scenario or philosophy.  The victim loop has only a downward spiral - as I like to call it - The Death Spiral! 

A much better philosophy is Essential Integrity.  Practice conscious values; Who do you admire and why? What are some qualities of the people you admire?  I have to say, that since I have become a member of J-Land, I admire many of you :o)

So - be conscious of your values, and be aware of unconscious expressions and/or behaviors, which will reveal our true values.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that philosophy. I find that lately I tend to try to emulate those I admire and avoid the behavior of those that I find abhorrent. Most of the time, life isn't that black and white, but there are a few that are pretty clearcut!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I just had this same conversation today, GMTA!!! GREAT entry :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I find that I tend to take responsibility for myself and my actions but others around me blame others. It is so annoying!!! I feel like screaming at them to grow up!
Tawnya

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother Ken.  I whole heartedly agree with your philospphy.  And like you, I have met some admirable people here in J-Land.  It has been a blessing to me.
Have a wonderful week.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Railing against fate or circumstances is very popular with people who have neither the strength of character nor  emotional maturity to see positive things to fruition. I used to be a little more sympathetic to this behavior, until I realized how much those very people hurt others in the process of all their blaming. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Ladies, thank you so much for your comments.  Glad that I struck a cord with you :o)

Anonymous said...

Very good entry.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink