Saturday, April 26, 2008

Prime Directive

Today, the Prime Directive was to get the lawn tractor going.  I sure could have used some Star Trek technology to assist me <LOL>.

I grabbed the shed padlock key and headed down the driveway, unsure what to expect after almost five months.  I opened the shed, and noticed that there was a noticeable lean to the right, due to an almost flat rear tire. The good news is that the tractor started up with no problem. I drove the tractor and parked it behind Blacky, retrieved the air compressor, and alas, the dc plug to the car was not long enough to reach more than two feet beyond the rear corner of the car. 

So, what is a guy to do?  I headed out to Lowes to get a new compressor (also got a $10 tool box to keep in the house since my tools moved to the detached garage today).  Not sure how we ever got by without a better air compressor.  I highly recommend the little guy shown to the left - it runs off of either ac or dc power, and the dial with the red arrow is a limit switch to ensure you do not over inflate.  It is really a nice little device, and cost less than $50.

I filled the tires on both tractors, and look forward to doing the same for the bikes (motorcycle and bicycles :o), and for the vehicles.  Remember, properly inflated tires helps with the gas mileage, so take the time to ensure your tires remain properly inflated.

Turns out that was the easy part of getting the tractor in mowing condition.  On the last cut of the year last fall, the blade drive belt broke.  We picked up a new belt at Lowes (note, the generic belt was $20 less than the direct replacement belt at Sears). 

 We go through several belts a year due to the twigs and "junk" that gets up under the mower (this year, I have walked the yard to pick up sticks versus just mowing over them).  This is only the second time I have replaced the blade drive belt, it is usually the main drive belt that goes (resulting in me pushing the tractor back to the shed).  It took me well over an hour, mostly because I was challenged to get a spring removed to properly position the belt.  Lesson learned, grab the end of the spring with needle nose pliers and twist to get it unhooked.  I was finally able to get it all put back together.

So then, it was off to perform the first mowing of the year.  With winter decending on us so fast last year, there were still a lot of leaves left in the yard.  So it was a very dusty endeavor today, as the leaves and new grass were mulched together.  The path I have through the marsh is still too wet to get through, but I was able to get the front and back grass done, as well as the stretch along the road.  Take a look, doesn't the lawn look nice, and so green, I LOVE SPRING.  Sure is nice to be outside.  Hope you are having a nice weekend. 

Off to grill some steaks :o)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You took the picture before I could! :) Everything is getting so green. I just hope we don't get a nasty frost or worse yet, a freeze, in the coming days.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Wow the first mowing of the lawn.....celebrate,celebrate dance to the music. I'm hoping my electric mower has one more year in it :)

Anonymous said...

what a great big yard you have!! living in Southern California, with a yard that size some developer would have put up a 28-unit apartment complex, several multi-million dollar homes, a recreation center complete with pool, clubhouse and tennis courts and still have room to spare (half joke here, half truth; we're squeezed in like sardines down here)

I remember trying to get the mower started after the long cold winters in Montana; always a struggle; so eventually we solved that problem; hired someone to cut the grass for us :)

looks good; bet the steaks were delicious!

betty

Anonymous said...

Every year, we get stuck doing some kind of maintence to the mower before we cut the grass.  Enjoy your Sunday.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Great yard, lots of space. I don't get excited about mowing the lawn but I do love that it's warm enough for me to plant things. Our drought has actually eased up and I'm busy adding some new plantings to my flower garden. Happy spring!--Sheria

Anonymous said...

we did the same this week fortnately we had friday off so our work was done before the actual weekend.
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

This entry rang so many bells!
We have a riding mower that is forever breaking a belt, and it seems that at any given time we are either airing up a tire on it or replacing a belt.  Your lawn looks great!  I have been reading your wife's journal for quite a while now, and was pointed toward yours by way of Dan's Guest Editor's Picks.  Congrats on that, and hope you guys have a great week!
Lori