Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Science Scene - Earth Day 2008, Part Deux

Here at Nutwood Junction, we have definitely discovered the joy of recycling, as discussed in my Science Scene - Earth Day 2008 entry. Based on the original entry, and feedback received so far, here is a list of things you can do to be more GREEN :o) 

1.    Use your local recycling program for glass, cans, plastic, and cardboard.

2.    During the spring/summer, use a compost crock that all veggie material and coffee grounds go into.

3.    Use compact fluorescent bulbs where possible

4.    Only use the air conditioning (or furnace) when necessary (open the windows for natural circulation, and wear warm clothes in the fall/winter)

5.   Donate things you no longer use to Goodwill, much better than throwing out.

6.   Take your paper to work for recycling.

7.   Take your batteries to work for recycling.

8.    I often print on paper that has already has something on the other side. I have to remember to tell my students when I'm using previously printed paper to ignore what's on the back side. I've also learned to check what's on the other side first. As I pick up a lot of this paper at the main copy shop on campus, there is occasionally some REALLY interesting stuff that may not be appropriate for my class content!

9.   We also have several places locally that take dead batteries and light bulbs.

10.  Recycle plastic bags when I get them.  I usually try to use my own bags as much as possible.  (2)

11.  Do not throw out printer paper when used.  When no longer needed, I tear it up, and use it for scrap paper.  

12.  Donate cleaned out 2 liter bottles to schools in the area for their art projects.

13.  All magazines we subscribe to go to others who then agree to hand off to even more so many people get the benefit of reading them.

14.  Used coffee grounds go into one plastic bag and at the end of the week they go onto the dirt over many plants in our yard and then we start over with that same plastic bag.

15.  We try to plant a few more trees every year, although at least half of our property is already wooded.

16.      Plant native plants in our yard as much as possible. They thrive in their native climate, and require much less water.

17.       Use green shopping bags (made of recycled materials) whopping price 99 cents.

18.    Whenever possible we purchase from second hand stores. Aside from the $ difference, the amount of material and energy used in packaging, shipping, and manufacturing is significantly reduced.

While this list is a good start, I am not satisfied.  I think there are more things that we can do.  So here is continuing my challenge to J-Land; post a comment for this entry that documents at least one unique thing that you do to recycle and/or try and be green.  My goal is have a list of 50 things.

So please spread the word about this effort - let's do our part!  May this help you in some way do something that helps our environment. :o)

Recycling Resources and Information:

http://www.epa.gov/garbage/recycle.htm)

http://earth911.org/recycling)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have nothing new to add...sorry.  I live in an apt. (alone) and it isn't much of an effort to recycle for me as the apt. picks up our recyclables weekly.  Good luck.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Great list. I brought a Brita pitcher instead of buying bottled water. All yard waste can be re-used. Just start a compost area off the side of your property and by next fall, it should have molted enough to use for fertilizer for garden beds. Instead of producing lawn clipping from mowing the lawn, just go over the clippings again with the mower it actually helps continue to keep your lawn seeded and healthy, as well as cuts down on plastic bags of refuse. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

... I do the Brita thing too ... as to recycling, we have pickup for recyclables in town, and the empties for soda and beer have a deposit on them to get people to bring them back ...

... the big concept of conservation is just that ... BIG ..!  I try to do the little things around the house that I can ... change all the light bulbs and got those new curlique ones ... and I support cats like you, who are 'boots on the ground' when it comes to this stuff ...!

Anonymous said...

I do this too it thanks for sharing it
hugs
Sherry
http://journals.aol.com/shrbrisc/sherrys-weightloss-journey/