Monday, January 28, 2008

Death and Taxes

Well, I will try and keep this limited to the second part, and not the first.

I had a nice chat with my Mom on Saturday.  She is doing well, and they are both up-beat about the cancer treatments that her husband is going through.  He indicated that the only affect so far is that he is a little more fatigued.  They both sounded great.

When we were down there (Springfield, MO), we talked about letting me do their taxes for them so they do not need to pay a professional (they charge more than $100).  Since I knew that they would not let me do it for free, I said my charge will be $40 so we can get a bottle of wine when we go out for our "contractor" dinner (we got a gift card from our general contractor that built our new garage this summer, and he called us his "best" customers :o)). They hemmed and hawed, and said because of selling their place in Oregon, and the capital gains, they would find someone local.

Well, reason won out, she explained she had a multi-page form to fill out, and she was doing a page a day.  I said, so once you fill that out, the tax preparer basically just enters the data on the form and hits send.  She said, well, yeh, I guess so.  She then agreed to send the same information to me and let me do them.  That made my day. 

We do not do our taxes until around April 1st since we get hit pretty hard with the marriage penalty.  I did manage to sort through all my receipts and documents on Saturday, my stack of information is about 3-inches thick.  It takes me about 15-20 hours to do our taxes.  Not a chore I look forward to, but after this year, we should be in a position to get refunds.  I really look forward to that.

Hope you survive the tax season, and more importantly, go out and enjoy and spend that expected economic injection tax rebate check coming in March.  We will most likely save half and spend the other half. :o)


Tags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to someone about how we were going to spend our "incentives." He said he was going to spend his on cocaine. (Totally a joke, this is a completely anti-drug person.) I said, "Hey, anything to stimulate the economy!" and he said, "And myself!" We had a good laugh.

Beth

Anonymous said...

i have a friend who does his and it takes him months......he itemizes everything.....my husband and i do not itemize anything but do not get much back, even with a kid. I claim myself so i get more back thru the year....but you would not believe how many of my coworkers get that EIC thing and will bring home $10K plus.

lisa

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to have worked since I was 15....The last 5 years I never worked under an minimum of 50-60 hours a week. Then I became deaf and this backwoods community I live in found despite an incredible work history they didn't want to take a chance on me.

I say fortunate earlier, because to that end my disability payments are not bad at all. But I miss the divends that would other wise come around like tax kickbacks...
I think it's sweet you mom gave him and is allowing you to do her taxes for her. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Thanks ladies for you comments :o)