Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Gift of Hope

As you saw from a recent blog entry, my wife and I recently took a quick trip to see my Mom and Stepfather in Springfield, Missouri.  This was not our original plan for Christmas, but our traditional plans did not come to pass.  As I mentioned previously, sometimes every cloud has a silver lining, and I am an optimist at heart, so attempt to find the good in a situation.

For this holiday season, that was not difficult at all.  Over the years, my Mom has had a string of medical issues, with a recent escallation in frequency.  In addition, I found out that my Stepfather has prostate cancer and will soon commence 43 days of radiation treatment.   Over the past 10 years, my Stepfather has really stepped up and taken care of my Mom, and for that, I have come to truly love him.  For these reasons, we decided to spend several days celebrating the holidays with them.

We celebrated our Christmas with my Mom and Stepfather on Thursday (12/27).  The best present that we gave to anyone this year was to them; money to cover two months worth of his medication, for the radiation treatments, that is not covered by their insurance or medicaid.  Their reaction and gratitude, for the gift and for our visit during this difficult time, was special for us.  The gift of family, support, prayers, and most of all, hope, is what the holiday season is all about.  We feel very blessed.


Tags: ,

No comments: