Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jaws IV

Not quite the same as California weather (when I lived there, especially on the central coast, watching the weather forecast was a joke – sunny and mild, sunny and mild, etc….).  We had two bouts of rain yesterday (Monday), but fortunately, the weather gods smiled down on us, and I was able to grill the steaks in between the downpours.

 

Waking up this morning, the second time this week, to the sound of a little Princess screaming in the pool (see Beth’s entry at Nutwood Junction), we got a reasonable start to the day at about 0900 :o)  We had four definitive things on the agenda for today; 1) Ken get a workout in, 2) Bake in the sun on the beach, 3) go to the store and get some Fitch (fish) for three dinners this week, and 4) Vegecate :o)  I am please to inform you that our busy agenda has been accomplished.

 

I headed to the work out area at about 10:15 A.M., they had a weight machine, an elliptical machine, and a treadmill.  No water (luckily I brought my own), no towels (I used paper towels to wipe down the equipment), and no windows.  The space was only about 15x20 feet – so I see some feedback to the Timeshare management in my future :o)

 

We slathered up and headed to the beach for some rays around noon.  There was just enough breeze that it felt cooler than yesterday – I estimate 93 degrees today versus 96 degrees yesterday.  I never cease to marvel at the Scottish/American Indian (Osage) blood combination.  As long as I do not burn immediately (easily avoided with some sun screen), then I will start to brown the next day.  Beth always comments on how fast I start to tan. Beth headed up after a little more than an hour, and then it happened!

 

I was out in the water, watching the pelicans dive bomb into the surf for a snack/meal.  Then, there only about 20 feet from me was a fin, slicing through the water.  In a fraction of a second, the NaNa, NaNa, NaNa theme raced through my head, and I immediately started backing up.  The fin resurfaced… Much to my relief, the culprit was a dolphin, as evidenced by the arching motion through the surf, and for the next ten minutes I watched them search for fish (actually saw one jump out of the surf, with the fish bouncing off of its “nose”).

 

Our last real errand of the day was heading to the fish market, we got some deep sea scallops, some tuna steaks, and some Florida swordfish steaks.  Also, just for good measure, we got some shrimp cocktail.  Tonight, I believe it will be tuna steaks on the grill (the CVS pharmacy just in front of the fish market was advertising Bumble Bee tuna, and Beth commented that we could have tuna for dinner, since that was fitch, so yes dear, we are having tuna for dinner :o), with a baked potato, and salad – most likely with blue cheese dressing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the rest of your week.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Gee Bucko! I'm incredibly impressed with the determination with which you and your family face tough weather! way to go Bucko!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit behind, so I'm just catching up on your vacation entries. I hate to crow, but I've got you beat in the browning department. No, no, don't be hurt. What can I say? We all have our talents.--Sheria