Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend Rituals

Yesterday was a beautiful day here at Nutwood.  The temperature was in the mid-eighties, there were few clouds in the majestic blue sky, and the birds were a-singing.   :o)

After the weekend morning ritual of coffee and the paper, it was out to mow the back forty (actually only two of our eleven acres are grass).  I had on a sleeveless T-shirt, ready to soak up some Vitamin D.  I started with the push mower, a way to get in my exercise for the day, and a good way to avoid getting poison ivy on my legs as I often due when I use the weed-whacker.  I mowed around the front roadway flower box, the back garden pond, the back steps, and under our two year old red-bud trees. We have had only sporadic luck with trees (deer love fruit tree leaves), but these have taken off like gangbusters, don't you think?

After mowing, and since there was only a very gentle breeze blowing, I took the BBQ box and did the burn pile.  While we do try and mulch our downed branches, some of them are too big, and we have plenty of firewood (although the fireplace is still a couple of years off).  The last activity was to set off a bug bomb in the lawn mower shed.  The past two times I have gotten out the lawn tractor, there have been little piles of sawdust on them - I suspect some carpenter bees or such.

Then it was off to shower and to settle in for some U.S. Open action and to watch Tiger do some amazing things.  While I was mowing, Beth foraged at the local supermarket for some big baking potatoes, a head of lettuce, and some blue cheese dressing.  We love our grilling and meat and potato diet :o)  They were cooked perfect, can't you just smell them?

 

Hope the weather is nice in your neck of the woods (or suburbia), and that you get a chance to have a Father's Day cookout.  Soon I will call my Step-Father and wish him a happy one.  I'm also thinking of my Dad today, waxing nostalgic over these types of weekends that I used to share with him.  He would have been 82 this year, just three years younger than Beth's wonderful father, who I am proud to call Dad :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great--I wish I were there. Oh wait--I was! :)

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend.  It rained most of yesterday here but the sun is shining today.  I'm still under the weather with an ear and sinus infection so staying indoors with a good book (by Joe Hill...Stephen King's son).  Not for the faint of heart but I'm liking it anyway...lol.  
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day and those steaks look divine.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

I hope you didn't get to much vitamin D I did and we had the steaks on the grill too great day
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

... the steaks look fine save for one thing ... WHERE IS MINE ..!

... as peerless as he is, NOTHING is amazing to me about Golf ... sorry to disagree ... not argue, jus' sayin' ...

Anonymous said...

dear Bucko,
hey! Your dad was  a wonderful dad ! glad you had a Happy Fathers Day!
That food looks great!
nat