Monday, June 16, 2008

Pragmatism

Often in life, you have the opportunity to determine how you define yourself. 

For myself, if I had to select a single word, it would be "Pragmatic."  For me, the first awareness of this is from the mid 1980's.  I was living in San Francisco, and it had become an annual affair for my Dad to put his Colorado timeshare in the bank, and book something for me in Lake Tahoe.  I would go up and ski during the day, and gamble at night.  Normally, it would just be me, as I was kind of a loner at the time.  However, this particular year, I invited a very good friend and his girlfriend up for one of the weekends.  I sat in Friday night, waiting for them, and they never showed.  Needless to say, I was hurt, angry, and disappointed.  So how did I deal with it?

Well, this was not the first time my friend had been late, or that plans had changed.  So, on the drive back to the City By The Bay, I determined that I would say something to my friend, but I also came to realize that this is his nature.  He is a type of free spirit that goes where he is moved to go, and he did not mean to intentionally hurt me.  I could choose to recognize and accept this in him, or I could end our friendship.  I chose to accept.  So, in the future, I always took our plans with a grain of salt, and we have been great friends ever since.

That has become part of my nature.  I truly believe in the innate goodness of people, but also really believe the axiom:  "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."  So for me, when I first meet and become acquainted with someone, you get the full benefit of the doubt. I trust you and believe what you say.  Usually, it is not too long before actions speak louder than words, and a person's true nature is revealed.  Most of the time, this is more positive than not and just requires some minor adjustments, and a relationship is formed.  But sometimes, this is negative, and that is where my expectations for dealing with that person are lowered to the point that there are no expectations. 

You see, I find that if you have no expectations, then you cannot hurt yourself (because, emotionally, only you can hurt yourself if you have the right attitude).  You can be disappointed, but not hurt. So over the years, I have become very pragmatic. 

Sometimes, people or situations will change, and you can start to raise expectations based on a track record of behavior, and that is priceless.  That has happened for me once, when a person that had hurt someone close to me changed their behavior and attitude, and is now a wonderful part of my life.  I expect that this one instance will not be the last, because you see, I am a hobo at heart, maybe down on my luck with some relationships, but eternally optimistic :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having met and spent time with your friend--twice now--you made the right decision, because he is now my friend, too. I hope it works out that we can see him later this summer, because I'd love to see him again!

One of Cousin Shane's favorite quotes is "Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it." (Not sure who said it originally.) I think it's so true that much of our happiness depends on how we react to the circumstances of our lives. Bitter? Angry? Or, as you wrote, pragmatic? Dealing with adversity and moving on? Plenty of people have terrible childhoods, but they move on and make a good life for themselves (my journal pal LJ springs to mind). It's a matter of free will and a matter of willpower. Not to mention a matter of pride and strength.

Great entry, although I'm a little biased. <grin>

Beth

Anonymous said...

I try not to have high expectations of people either.  I also believe that we must except everyone in our life just the way the are.  Enjoy your evening.
Missie

Anonymous said...

this is good advice
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

So true and so well said.  "Acceptance" comes to mind...using it when little quirks get in the way.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Depends on the agreement.  If I invited someone for a weekend and they say they will come if they can, then my expectations are low.  If I invite someone and they say yes we will be there, I expect them to be there.

Blow me off with no phone call to cancel or even to apologize and you are no longer a friend.

Pragmatism doesn't mean to forgive people for treating you badly.

Mrs. L

Anonymous said...

this is a very interesting entry.
I think it is challenging that you are trying to overlook how your parents raised you  and reach out to people who perhaps were not raised in that way with compassion and love.
My favorite part however is when you learned to take people with a grain of salt;to trust at first but then to dismiss form trust when nothing is returned. wise my friend.
huggggggggggggggs natalie