Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Are You Willing To Sacrifice?

Beth and I were talking about her recent entry about Can We Really Make a Difference?, and my comment that I do not think that we have hit rock bottom yet, so the American "Kick Ass" attitude has not yet been invoked.  Therefore, I believe that things will get worse over the next 3-6 months, before they start to get better. 

As we were talking, I mentioned that I think that the biggest mistake that President Bush made regarding the war in Iraq is that we did not ask for the American people to sacrifice.  We have our young men and women fighting for our way of life in Iraq, and we are complaining about the price of gas, and the fact that food prices have increased (due to transportation costs and ethanol production).  We could have instituted a "war" gas tax, or a temporary Federal sales tax, that would have helped finance the war and driven down consumption. 

So I say, look at the bigger picture, be thankful for where we live, for the life styles we have, and how much worse it is in Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Asia, and South America.  Stop whining, step up to the table, and decide what you are willing to sacrifice.  If we all are willing to sacrifice a little, and help and share with others, not only will our individual situations improve, but our sense of community will improve as well. 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the "American kick-ass attitude" phrase!

I guess that's what gets me about a defeatist attitude. We have some of the best and brightest intellects in the world here in our country--think NASA--and why can't we start tapping that intellect for the development of alternative fuels? I don't for a moment believe that it's impossible. 50 years ago, it was in the realm of science fiction to land a man on the moon, and 10 years later, it was a done deal.

THIS is what we need to get back to. And it all starts with education, encouraging kids to get a college education, especially in science. We need to get back to believing that failure is not an option, and as you said, realizing that there may be some sacrifices along the way.

I know it's hard to look at the big picture during rough times, but we really have no other choice.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Very well said!~  Kudos!!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Very well put my friend.  I have never seen so many members of the "Piss & Moan Club" vocalizing their discontent as I have in the last few months.  There is nowhere else I would rather be than right here.  Everyone I know is tightening up their belts a bit.  OMG...deal with it.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

unfornately those taxes would hurt the poor and the people who make 50 k above wouldn't be sacrificing like the single parents who work and can't afford the fuel and taxes they have now let alone more .. and he won't tax his buds and the rich , they are going to support his retirement fund ..
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

... don't want to really inject rhetoric in here, but since no Military leader believed in the war, and its original premise since proven to be 'mistaken'(and that is being kind), there is more than just what we could do at work here ...

... why? is the question that makes regular rounds in my mind ...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this perspective.  My parents lived through the Great Depression and WWII.  But I'm not sure we could survive the way they did.  We are just not self-sufficient the way they were.  I think you're right that it's going to get worse over the next few months before it gets better; I'm just hoping you're right about it actually getting better. :)
Lori

Anonymous said...

In just a few words, you put things into perspective.  Americans now don't have any idea what "all out war" really means.  Just read about how civilians here lived during WWII - gas rationing for one.  There were shortages of goods that we take for granted, and if that happened, talk about complaining!

I also think you're right about the next 3-6 months.  Some economists agree with you, and say they believe the economy will start turning around in the first quarter of 2009.

Dirk