Saturday, July 26, 2008

Butterfly Effect

 
 
Today was a beautiful day for a drive.  So a little after one, we headed to the garage.  I looked at Beth's hair and noticed that she had it clipped, so I gave her my best double-raised eyebrow look, twice very quickly.  She said yea, we don't have that many days and opportunities like today.  So down came the top (on the car that is :o), and we hit the blacktop in Blacky
 
Our destination, a cruise to Starke county for a visit with Mom and Dad (Beth's parents).  They live in the country, where they both grew up, on 16 acres.  They had a log cabin home built three years ago, and have really enjoyed the various flora, fauna, and critters.  Here is Beth with her Dad on the porch. 
 
As always, Mom had cooked up a lunch for the weary travelers (all of 45 minutes).  We had sliced and cooked sausage, fresh green beans cooked with potatoes and bacon, and cucumbers with some of our Vidalia onions.  It was yummy.  Here is a picture of Mom tending to her side garden (she startled a baby rabbit twice as she was watering, looking at Dad and said "You could have gotten him on the second time").
 
 
After our little snack, we headed out into the wild so I could get some practice with my new camera.  I have never had an 18-55 mm lens, and was anxious to try some macro shots of flowers and such.  I will not provide a lot of commentary, but just present a few of the shots that I took.  Take notice of the flowers, see if you can spot the one that was actually a fake planted with a bunch of real ones (leave me a comment on which one you think it is; 1,2,3 first row, 4,5,6 second row, or 7,8,9 third row :o)  Notice the nice rail fence that used to be in our front yard that was recycled for a beautiful back yard garden.  Also, I am quite proud of a couple of the insect pictures.  I must say that I am absolutely hooked on digital.  None of the pictures have been adjusted or doctored in any way.
 
 
 
Without a doubt, this is my favorite picture of the bunch.  You can even see his "nectar straw" (don't you love the scientific term). 
So, after that scientific comment above, I decided to consult the resident "Nerd", and was not disappointed.  The official term for the "nectar straw" is proboscis (tanks honey :o)
Hope you all had as nice of a day as we did.  May your weekend be everything that you want it to be, and much, much more.
 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my day was okay. <grin>

Thanks for a great time--it's always a good day with Mom and Dad.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a great visit with Beth's parents. Loved the pictures, their log cabin is to die for...I love it! Fake flowers are in the 2nd row, number 6. Kind of hard to fool a garden enthusiast. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

those are great pictures I am glad you had a great weekend
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

thanks for haring your precious visit wiht us! the country is always the best!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful adventure you've shared with us!  I love the photos to go along with the story of your day.  Especially the flowers.  I'm glad mom cooked you a nice meal, too!  Mom looks so sweet, tending to her garden.  

Nothing like a sunny weekend drive...  Glad you enjoyed it!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Love the photos!  You are pretty talented with the camera.

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures of beautiful flowers. I will venture an opinion that the fake flowers, based on something that appears not quite true in the color of the leaves is row two, picture # 6. Of course, If I'm wrong, I'll just blame it on my glasses being dirty.

You have reason to be proud of your photographs, they look fantastic!--Sheria