Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Campaign Corner :o)

First, let me preface this entry by saying that I have not made up my mind about who to vote for for President of the United States of America.  So, from now until the election, I will be making some entries, titled "Campaign Corner" that will hopefully provide information for you to contemplate :o)

This first entry is courtesy of the July 14, 2008, edition of Time Magazine.  The article is titled "High Rollers" and the premise is about what the gambling habits of the two Senators tells us about them.

McCain has a hankering for craps.  This game of chance "helped burnish his image as a political hot dog who relished the thrill of a good fight, even if the risk of failure was high."  The other aspect of this game that also fits his persona is "Taking a chance, playing against the odds."  McCain has always been anti-establishment and an advocate for change.

As for Obama, playing poker is "a way to vent his competitive urge." "Barack hates to lose."  The quote that most struck me was "If he runs his presidency the way he plays poker [risk adverse], I'll sleep good at night."

McCain is more about living dangerously, with streaks of success and disappointments.  Obama has been more diligent in executing a more premeditated strategy.  It will be interesting to see as the stakes are raised during this campaign season, how these gamblers respond, and whether said responses are a matter of luck, or premeditated.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't read the article, but this just sounds silly, regardless of where you stand politically. It's the equivalent of arguing that 'boxers or briefs' means something grand in the scheme of a guy's personality. (mind you, if this was a message board the standard MO would be to have someone launch a 20 post arguement that, in fact, boxers/briefs do matter).  I look forward to your 'Campaign Corner' posts, but tsk at the way Time seems to have responded to a slow news week.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! I look forward to reading the article.

As a lover of Blackjack, I wonder what that says about me? I find that having other knowledgeable players at the table, playing as a team to beat the dealer, makes for a successful evening. But when you have players that are out for themselves and think nothing of the cards being played, they'll torpedo you every time. Hmm!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I'm with Dan on this one.  Give me a break.  I might as well read their horoscopes to decide.  Of course, I have already decided...lol.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Time said that?  It sort of hits me as sociable though emotionless shell writing..

Anonymous said...

I'm a republican but have idea who I will vote for.  I don't like either one, and no, I didn't like Hilary either.
Missie

Anonymous said...

I think Obama is the most dangerous candidate we've ever had.  He was recently voted as the most liberal Senator in Congress by the National Journal in their annual vote ratings.  That's further left than Nancy Pelosi and Ted Kennedy.  Now THAT'S over there.  I posted a video in two parts that sums up Obama's ideology, some of it in his own words.  The link:

http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiman1/the-first-amendment-not-politi/entries/2008/07/07/obama-in-a-nutshell/2016.

I'm in the process of posting each party's platform as that is what the candidates MUST be committed to regardless of their campaign rhetoric.

I'm voting for McCain, but I'm not really crazy about a lot his political leanings either.  I'll be voting against Obama and not really for McCain.

Dirk

Anonymous said...

In any event (as I said on Beth's journal) I would hope whichever candidate makes presidency, they don't gamble on America's forums. We need someone to give us back a steady economy and help us find a way out of this recession. The thought of gambling with any descion that will affect this country is disheartening. (Hugs)Indigo <--evil Yankee fan

Anonymous said...

... you know, the way you phrased this entry, will be something that influences my choice come November ...

... good entry ..!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading more from the campaign corner. I think that one of the best things that we can all do is give serious thought to how we decide whom to vote for, and the exchange of ideas is a good thing.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

very interesting
I myself am already weary of all of the touting tit for tat
natalie