Monday, September 15, 2008

Pepe Le Pew :o)

 

On Sunday morning, as we were reading the paper, and enjoying our morning beverages, I saw a skunk moving across the back yard.  This was a first for us, we have smelled "Pepe" multiple times, but this was the first "sighting" we have had.  That prompted us to wonder whether they burrow?  So, this is a skunk educational public servic announcement.

 

Skunks are members of the weasel family (Mustelidae). There are four species of skunk in North America: striped skunks (Mephitis mephitis), hooded skunks (M. macroura), spotted skunks (Spilogale putorius), and scarce hog nosed skunks (Conepatus mesoleucus).   We have striped skunks here at Nutwood, and they measure 20 to 30 inches long (including the wide, bushy tail) and weigh 6 to 10 pounds (about the size of a house cat). Skunks have small heads and eyes, pointed snouts, and short legs that make them seem to waddle. Their strong forefeet and long nails make them excellent diggers. They tend to be slow-moving animals, never in much of a hurry, and are generally poor climbers.

An individual's territory may span 30 to 40 acres. In the wild, skunks tend to den in shallow burrows or hollow logs. They are hardly ever found more than two miles from a  water source. In urban territories, skunks den beneath buildings, decks, dumps, and woodpiles. They are capable of burrowing a den a foot or so underground, with well-hidden entrances. They like warm, dry, dark, and defensible areas; most house basements and crawl spaces qualify.  [Nutwood, with our ponds in the back, and wooded areas, seem to provide prime habitat. Good to know that we should only need to worry about one den :o)]

Skunks are generally nocturnal and begin foraging at sunset. Skunks are omnivorous and help keep the rodent population in check. They often travel five to ten miles within their territory at night looking for field mice and other small rodents as well as lizards, frogs, birds, eggs, garbage, acorns, and fallen fruit. 

 

They also dig for insects, especially beetles, larvae, and earthworms. Their diet includes black widow spiders and scorpions. Being carrion eaters, they help keep roadways and neighborhoods clean. An estimated 70 percent of a skunk's diet consists of insects considered harmful to humans.

The skunk's chief enemies are automobiles and great horned owls, both of which kill skunks in large numbers. Skunks rarely attack unless cornered or defending their young. If approached by an intruder and unable to flee, a skunk will usually fluff its fur, shake its tail, stamp the ground with its front feet, growl, stand on its hind legs, turn its head and spit to scare the potential attacker. If those techniques do not work, it will lift up its tail and spray.  The chemical skunks spray at their enemies is a sulfur compound called N- bulymercaptan. It is ejected in a fanlike pattern from two small openings near the animal's rectum. The glands that produce the chemical hold enough for five or  six full-powered sprays, but skunks seldom spray without warning or cause. Although they have sharp teeth, they rarely use them in defense, because their spray is most accurate and effective at a range of up to 15 feet.

So, this little research project reaffirms that "Pepe" is a friend, and while at times the smell is pungent, this is the rarity, and we know that "Pepe" is helping us keep the natural balance at Nutwood :o)  

But a meenute juust wait, per'haps choo shuwd watche zee video...

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun to learn more about Pepé and family! Actually, I've seen Pepé a couple of times when you were at work. He's come up underneath the deck to eat some of the bird seed that falls from the feeders. He's actually very handsome, with glossy black fur, and a beautiful, bushy tail. He's one of our critters that I really don't want to encounter in person, but I don't mind looking at him through the window!

Nice to know that he's also a pretty good critter to have around.

Love the cartoon...Pepé Le Pew is my favorite Looney Tunes character!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you accept nature for what is is- natural!  I get possums in my crawl space all the time (they LOVE Nog's food), and I generally just leave them alone- they don't seem to bother anything.  In the spring, however,  they carry fleas which come up through the floor boards,  so every year in May I have them "evicted".  They always come back, though.  The circle of life, I guess!

Anonymous said...

They are kinda cute.... and I feel really sorry for the bad rap, but I still wouldn't want them living THAT close to me.... = )

Joann

Anonymous said...

I have a few of those creatures it makes for a smelly spring around here lol
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did your homework on these pretty creatures. Enjoyed the entry very much. I didn't know before now that they are so useful. we were very surprised to see one in our yard recently because we live in town (not surprised to see them at the ranch) but after reading this I'm thinking of the pond a few blocks away. Thanks, Paula

Anonymous said...

We have a few local skunks in our neighborhood.  I think they're beautiful animals.
Missie

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that this much maligned chap isn't as bad as he's painted. In fact, he's quite handy to have around, it would seem.
Thanks for the education.
I love the cartoon, especially all that faux French with the cat saying "Le meow" and all. Brilliant!

B.

Anonymous said...

Oh that they were all as cute as Pepe!  Thanks for the PSA. I learned quite a bit and have a better appreciation for the work they do!  But I still do not want them in MY neighborhood.  Call me prejudiced!

Donna

Anonymous said...

I think they are adorable and have always wished I could pet one...lol.  When I lived out in the country some time back, while taking a stroll down our country dirt road, I stopped dead in my tracks.  Crossing the road up ahead of me was a mama and several babies.  It was hard to tell how many babies because they were moving together like they were one animal.  If I hadn't been afraid to move I would have run back for my camera.  Thanks for all the good info on them.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

My sister Lois raised a baby one once, and she never sprayed anyone.  Her name, of course, was Flower.
Lori

Anonymous said...

... on the very real ... you post the most informative stuff ... this is truly a piece of info that I am glad to know ..!

Anonymous said...

yup that smell is wild!
:) pretty picture. thanks!
I did not realise that they keep the mouse population in check! useful buggers
hugs,nat