Sunday, September 14, 2008

Rain, courtesy of Mssrs. Lowell and Ike

 
 
This is what it looks like outside our back window today (not my actual picture, cannot capture the rain effect). 
 
 
Friday and Saturday morning, we where inundated with the last vestige of Tropical Storm Lowell, depositing 7.06" here. 
 
 
 
Last night, it continued to rain, and it is steady now, and expected to last all day (courtesy of Mr. Ike). 
 
 
 
We are half way through September, and have already surpassed the September record.  As of Saturday  evening, we were at 9.43" so far this month.  Today, we will definitely pass the record for the wettest month ever for South Bend, 10.86" set in June, 1993. 
 
Fortunately, when we first moved in here at Nutwood Junction, I installed two yard drains that go to the back pond.  During our first rain here, before we actually moved in, there were huge puddles in the back yard near the house.
 
 
Here s a picture of our backyard right now.
 
 
 
We hope that this will not impact the crops or harvest for our local farmers.
 
Hope that this finds you safe and dry :o)

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rain? What's rain? Another sunny, and dry day here in the Pacific Northwest!  Temps predicted to be in the high 70's again.  BUT.........the long range forecast shows some of the wet stuff heading are way starting Thursday. I suppose as we head down Highway 101 next Saturday, it will be rain all the way into southern California. DRAT !!!    Linda in WA

Anonymous said...

After a dry August and early September (we were in a moderate drought), it seems that we've more than made up for it! I can't believe how much rain we're getting, and I think we should discuss those ark plans!

It sure makes me feel sympathy for those on the Gulf right now. While we're getting some flooding in our area, and it's pretty serious for some people, we're lucky to not be in a flood plain. I can't imagine how bad it must be in Galveston and Houston. :(

Beth

Anonymous said...

We are getting a little of the rain here as well.  The wind is fierce today as I made my way to my monthly Wally World buyout.  I know you are getting much worse up their.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

We have not been able to cut the hay in our field. Have to wait 2 days after a rain. Between rain and the guys busy schedule it has not been cut. Hope you have a great Sunday and the rain slows down. Janie

Anonymous said...

You're not alone, we've just had one of the wettest Augusts for years. Mind you, we don't suffer those tropical storms you all seem so fond of.

Hope you don't get flooded.

B.

Anonymous said...

I am seeing sunshine I am a happy camper
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of rain!  Hope you dry out soon.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ike didn't see fit to leave us any rain and we could use it about now. Your back yard is beautiful and green. Paula

Anonymous said...

I say it's not Global Warming we need to fear but Global Soaking.    DB

Anonymous said...

I say it's not Global Warming we need to fear but Global Soaking.    DB

Anonymous said...

... had I grown up there, I would have snuck out in the downpour, and had a 'Mission to Burma' moment ..!

... speaking of 'Mission' you should ask anyone you know who likes punk music if they can dig them ..?

... finally, thanks for the clarification on Fermi-Fermil ... hope I got it right this time ..!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad you put in those drains??  Hope you guys are drying out now.
Lori

Anonymous said...

wow I hope the crops stay safe too!
and some people would love to see some rain..funny huh
natalie