Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Potpourri :o)

To avoid sending you multiple entry alerts, I decided to post a "Potpourri" entry :o)

First, for our teachers, home schoolers, and parents of students out there in J-Land, I give you my kudos and support.  During this campaign season, no one will debate the importance of making sure that our children receive an education.  This means different things for different families, but it does not diminish the fact that we can never give up on schooling during these difficult economic times.

Second, there is a new regulation that has been announced by the Bush Administration that would allow doctors to deny medical services based on their religious or moral beliefs, overriding current state laws that require healthcare workers to refer them elsewhere.  I do not agree with this philosophy - doctors take a Hippocratic oath, and I feel that denying medical care for any reason, whether it is religious, financial, or other, is not ethical.   We may need to put better triage and vetting processes in place, but we should keep some standards higher than others.

Third and last (I know, you say whew :o), our current economic situation is making it very hard on our charitable organizations.  The Red Cross is struggling financially, and they make a large portion of their budget via blood drives - so give until it hurts [pun intended].  The weak U.S. dollar has diminished the normal contribution that you have given to charities that are international, so consider giving a little more [again, give until it hurts].  Last, natural phenomena (such as Gustav) will continue to challenge pockets of our country, consider helping others as we have been spared the impact of such disasters.  Please give up your prayers for all of the above.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The info. you learn in j-land! I didn't know about the new regulation you write about. I certainly don't agree with it. Paula

Anonymous said...

OK, this new regulation thing is confusing me.... why would they still be allowed to be doctors?? That's just silly!!  Has this already been approved??

Joann

Anonymous said...

Tough times do effect so many.  Our schools, our medical care and even the Red Cross.  They are all in my prayers. 'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for reminding us all of the importance of charitable contributions and the importance of being our neighbor's keeper.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm a Bush supporter, I agree with you that it's a bad idea to let doctors deny meidcal services based on their religious or moral beliefs.  This is a country built on different religions.................

Have a good day.
Missie

Anonymous said...

I learned along time ago if my children were to get a quality education I had to do 75% of the work I guess now I will kick it up to 90% another reason I am thinking I am lucky to be on the tail end of child baring
have a great day
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Great entry!  I agree.........doctors took a Hippocratic Oath and should not deny anyone medical care for any reason!

Hugs,Rose

Roses Are Read Journal