Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Windows Installed :o)

When I got home tonight, Beth asked how my day was.  My reply was pretty good, I learned how to install Windows.

Her immediate response was, your IT department made you do that yourself???

I snickered, and pointed at our windows to the world, as seen from Nutwood Junction, and said I went to Habitat today.  "Ohhh, I forgot you were doing that today." 

My company has been a dedicated supporter of Habitat for Humanity for many years.  Last year was my first opportunity to go and assist, and it was great.  The thing that is so cool about Habitat is that they make the future owner of the house help, and so every day, they are there, putting in their sweat equity :o)

Today, when I got there, I helped install the fiberglass insulation that goes under the siding, and then we got educated on how to install windows. A team of three of us installed eight windows in about three hours (including all the waterproofing, pre-window install and the taping after the window was installed).  It is so rewarding to have the opportunity to help someone who is trying to help themselves, "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps," so to speak.

I am going back for a couple of hours tomorrow, all I can spare with my meeting schedule.  After this week, the drywall folks come in, and then later this month  we will go back in to do the cabinets, install doors, paint, and such.  Last will be the carpet, then the dedication where the family takes ownership.  I am planning on making helping a priority.

Last, please make sure you have a silent prayer tomorrow for the victims and families of 9/11. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I just could NOT believe that your IT guys didn't reinstall Windows after they wiped your hard drive!

Great job with Habitat, and I'm glad that your company participates. It makes a difference for a lot of people. :)

Beth

Anonymous said...

I would love to work on a Habitat for Humanity project!
Missie

Anonymous said...

HOW COOL!!!  I didn't know they TEACH you how to do it, I thought you already had to KNOW how to build a house!!!  Hmmm!!!  Glad you enjoyed it, and glad you wrote about it.

Joann

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry and I learned something too. Not to install windows or course. I would think the future owner of the house would love to be a part of the work. Paula

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that your company supports Habitat.  That is such a wonderful thing for all involved (the workers as well as the home owner).  Good for you.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

My prayers on with those today in rememberance of this day...

I think it's awesome what your doing with Habitat! Seeing as your learning to do all this neat stuff for houses.....ummm when are you planning on visiting? (winks) At this point, I want these guys to do the parts I can't do and get OUT...I will gladly do the remainder, at least I know it will be done right. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I didn't join Habitat for the cute guys ;-0, but there sure were a lot of them while I was the Treasurer of our local. My best volunteer-related memory was of this very quiet, sweet man (who happened to have a very low paying job); he volunteered every Saturday. He agreed to go pick up something we needed on a site from Home Depot. It was something we could not get donated, & he put it on his credit card. IT WAS EXPENSIVE. Afterward, I called him for the amount & he would not tell me(it was a few grand). He decided he was "meant" to donate it....

Anonymous said...

Love habitat too and I think people appreciate it more if they work for it and I said a pray several times today for those who lost loved ones and for our country
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ken!
You should let readers know more about that day!
hugs,nat